Saturday 13 December 2014

Sabagebu!


We all have that one anime series that, regardless of what others say, make us laugh our heads off. Sabagebu is one of those animes that just makes me laugh, even if the joke is over used, stupid or just downright ridiculous.

While there is no denying that Sabagebu! is not the first type of its genre, I feel that it has done a good job in making itself fun to watch and leaving you asking for more. Each episode contains several small stories, something which some may dislike. I don't have a problem with it personally, but overall I would still prefer the use of one story per episode or a story arc stretching over two or three episodes. Thankfully, Sabagebu! pulls off the 'short stories in one episode' thing pretty well.

The characters are downright hilarious. Even if you hate the narrator, or the weird looking platypus, you can never go wrong with the characters from the survival club. At first, I was annoyed that the characters were stereotypical cardboard cut outs such as the rich ojou sama, the otaku, and the big breasted one. But after making it past the third or fourth episode, I was hit with the realization that this is what makes the show funny.

I enjoyed the show because I realized that the show was somehow making fun of these characters. You know what will happen because you already know what the personalities are like, and what actions they would undoubtedly take, but when it happens, you will find yourself laughing along with them. I feel that Momoka is what makes the interactions between the characters enjoyable and ridiculous. Her sarcastic and selfish personality made me want to continue watching, if only for the parts where Momoka's actions leads to the group going on some ridiculous mission or taking part in her idea.

Story: There are some genuinely entertaining stories that will make you chuckle or laugh until your throat hurts. However, there is no overarching plot or visible ending. It is what it is, a fun and quirky anime that you can shut off your brain and enjoy.  7/10

Characters: Not much development for any of the characters, and some are just there for the sake of being there. On the bright side, most of them make the show much funnier, the dynamic between Urara and Momoka being one of the best for me. 7/10

OSTs: Does its job but seems boring and bland at times. Opening is pretty generic but the ending is addictive and quirky. 6.5/10 

Enjoyment: A very fun and good time filler with great jokes and enjoyable characters. I defintely get the blu-ray or rewatch it if I want something to tickle my funny bone.  8.5/10


No comments:

Post a Comment