Thursday 25 June 2015

Death Parade

Right, so Death parade caught my eye when it first came out, but i mostly put it off...until now. All-nighter's are an Anime Fan's best friend.


Death parades strength lies in its characters. Episodic in nature, the story gradually unravels itself as you continue watching. The first episode was extremely intense, and I think it must have turned off many anime fans or casual watchers. I would compare it to the first episode of Psycho Pass, but with no rape and less blood. But I guess it’s just a way of grabbing the potential anime watcher’s attention, though it was a little too intense for my liking. Bottom line is, the first episode was too intense, its characters were little but two dimensional cardboard characters and the only thing keeping you watching, is the mystery surrounding the plot.

Thankfully, some of your questions will be answered in episode 2. Everything is not as it seems and mistakes are made, giving us insight into the main characters. Despite being tasked with judging the souls who come into his bar, Decim is not just some godly character. As the episode wears on, it is shown that these ‘shinigami’s of sorts are able to make mistakes.

I think that this was a great twist to what seems to be an overused and clichéd plot. It allows the fans to connect with Decim in a way, because you’re both simultaneously learning about the guests whose souls are sent to be judged, and there is a palpable risk that Decim may make the wrong decision and send the wrong souls into oblivion.

Plot gets a 7/10 because as much as I like the setting and premise of death parade, the ending does not answer several of the answers it brought up during the course of the anime. Like who exactly are they working for, if ‘God’ no longer exists? And what about the woman in black? Why was she special? The ending was pretty okay. But one thing I disliked  was the addition of Nona snooping around and ‘hinting’ to the viewers that they were part of some overarching scheme, and all that buildup led to nothing in particular. It tricks the viewers into a wild goose chase, and I’m not sure I quite like that.

In addition, Death parade excels more in getting the viewers to sympathize/understand the guests and thus, capturing their attention. Or rather, the story is able to go forward because of how well the anime is able to get the character’s emotions across, and makes the viewers question if Decim’s choice was truly the ‘right’ one.

Characters gets a good 8/10 because when the credits finally roll, I just sort of sat in my chair, stunned. ‘Wow’ was all I could say. I was glad to have been part of the journey Decim and the woman in black partook in, because at the end, they have clearly changed for the better and come to terms with themselves. The anime does a great job at fleshing out the main characters, though the side characters seem just sort of…there. It doesn’t go deeper into their motivations or whatsoever. Partly why I gave it an 8 instead of a 9.

Music gets 8/10. The opening was amazing, and I can confidently say that I never skipped the opening whenever I watched a new episode. ‘Flyers’ sung by Bradio is one of my favourite openings to date, though it greatly contrasts the overall mood of the anime. The ending was less to my liking, but it did fit some episodes pretty well, particularly the more dark ones. The soundtracks on the other hand were just so-so, nothing that really stood out for me. It went well with the mood and did its job, is all I can say.

Recommended: 4/5 while it may not be for everyone, people who are looking for something borderline dark and enjoy dipping into the shallow end of psychological genre will like this. Its exploration of humans was simultaneously fun and sad to watch and one can definitely relate on a much baser level. You may see bits of yourself in the characters and while jarring, it does give you an interesting perspective. 

No comments:

Post a Comment