Wednesday 27 May 2015

Legend of Zelda Ocarina Of Time 3DS



It would be crime to say that oneself is a gamer, without having played a single Zelda game. Or so  the internet claims. From  personal view point, Ocarina of time is interesting but definitely not for me. I liked it, no doubt about that, but I don't really feel that it is the 'Best Game Ever Made' or that sort of thing. It was a greatly unique experience, but I don't think I'll be playing through it again anytime soon, because it wore me out a little.

The story was great, much like a cinematic movie (only with you controlling the main protagonist) and it kept me forging through it to see what came next. It must have been mind blowing when it first came out on the N64. Despite not being a fan of puzzle based games, I have no doubt that I would have been mesmerized. I mean come on, time travel, exploration and a heck ton of puzzles to spend countless nights with? I imagine that it was a magical experience for everyone who played OOT back then.

Animation wise, this Zelda remake looks really beautiful. I've seen screen shots of the N64 and doubtless, the 3ds one takes the cake. While galloping through the Hyrule fields with cutie Epona, I found myself just going in circles just to admire the lushness of the grass and the ridiculously blue sky in-game. Playing on the 3ds Xl was a treat, but the gameplay on the 2ds was just as good, only less immersive.

It surprised me though, that what I loved about this game was not the game play nor the story. It was the soundtracks. Some of the songs captured my heart, and I find myself putting on my HD 598s just to enjoy the game, while Link just stands idly in-game. One of my favourites was the Minuet of the Forest and the song of the storms.

As for the gameplay, it took some time for me to get used to. It was challenging at first, but after getting out of the Deku tree, I sort of got a hang of it. Let me just say now that I dislike puzzles intensely. I didn't even get through the first game of God of War before I threw my hands up and called it quits. The puzzles in the OOT were amazing, but were hair pulling and I cannot describe how frustrated I was. But...the feeling of utter satisfaction that filled me after I completed a difficult puzzle, or finished a temple was pure bliss. A sense of accomplishment that I never knew I would feel, always raised my spirits without fail. My guess is that many players have felt similarly, back in the day of the release.

I really do want to love this game. But unfortunately, it is not a game that I would claim to be my absolute 'favourite' although it has left its mark on me. I can say that I would be picking up Majoras Mask sometime in the future, though i doubt it would be so soon.

And I have to say that this game is something that everyone should play through at least once, just to experience what captured the hearts of gamers back in the day, and still allow the current generation of gamers to reminisce fondly on when they nearly broke the hinge of their ds while playing through OOT. I wouldn't call myself a 'gamer' in that sense  as I like playing for fun. Curiousity got me to buy a copy of OOT and I was not disappointed.

Plot : 9/10

Gameplay : 8/10

Animation : 9/10

Soundtracks : 10/10

*keep in mind that i am rating this based on my personal opinion and does not mean that what i feel represents what others think of the game.

Recommendation: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment